Monday, March 11, 2013

Altered Jar and Candle

Altered Jar and Candle project was created as a gift for Diana's BD (sparemarbles2012) and inspired by several crafters here on YT.
Both of these projects took a little currage, because I never used those techniques before.




Lets start with less complex project - candle. I purchases regular plain candle at the dollar store. Took one of the beautiful gifted napkins and cut out main image. I places image on the candle, wrap it with wax paper and applied some hit (be very careful while doing it - move your hit sorce all the time) for several seconds till image started to brighten. Let your candle cool.
Now the most fun part - altering...

Here you can see image of little anjels melted into the candle.... and layers of lace and bling trim along the edges...
On the top of this candle there was plastic protector, so I decorated it with crochet doily.
And back of the candle is just a waterfall of laces and trims and yarn topped with some Recollection flowers...

Now we can get to the main part of this project - altered jar.
I have seen on YT how ladies using regular napkins to alter things and add unforgetable touch to their projects... I did some reserch and ... Here it is...
It was regular glass jar, just had that wonderful shape. I took the lid off and gesso both parts on outside (jar till the neck). Let it dry. I took napkin and pilled both white layers from the main top printed layer. Using that white material I mod podge those on the lid and jar itself, smoothing it as much as possible. Letting it to dry over night or hit dry it. Than you can add printed part of napkin, My mistake was - trying to pull on it while on the jar (don't do that). While applying try to strech napkin no gimiks just put it on. another tip for you - try to tear napkin edges, so there is no sharp lines. and cut just enough to bod those part together w/o overlaping.... Seal with modpodge...
And again - fun part - altering. Just go for a chees....


I added lace and mesh bling on top and on the bottom of my jar....
adding so tags gave pursonal touch to the gift....
Do you remember about my mistake and sharp lines? Well that is fixable - just cover it.
I am using Recollection flowers, crochet doily and some bling with lace...



Now the top of the jar. I thought that it shouldn't be very bulky, because it is functional jar and you need to use the lid... There for...
 I just put doilie on top, wrapped  blacl lace around lid and ran a strin of bling trim on the edge...
Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog! Have a wonderful day!


Here is a video for you!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment