Blog Archive

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Phantom Haunted House - Explosion Box

Yes, I did it!
Explosion box was on my "Want To Do" list for a long time now. Finally I dared to approach it.
 For this project I used Phantom by Pink Paislee paper kit, the same one as for the Phantom Halloween 3 D Card.
This project came out absolutely adorable, keeping in mind a decoration idea of smashed in the wall witch.

Stage 1.
For the template on this project I just did some search on YT and found the tutorial I like, because there are so many of those available. Then I perused a Pinterest for Halloween ideas and funny thing I started my project from inside.
After creating three layers of my explosion box (which is basically 12*12 inch; 11.75*11.75 inch; 11.5*11.5 inch papers with cut out 4*4 inch corners) I started on miniature piece in the center
I had so much fun with new NSK miniatures so this project was a breeze

 Stage 2.
At first I placed my furniture around. Out of all pieces that you see above I decided to go with Clock and a Chair. Clock took my attention... Surprise to me the door was opening.. Immediately I grabbed some of Recollection Halloween sticky tape from my stash and adhered inside the tower. That gave magical look and some mystery to a clock. Then I placed a 3D mouse inside: good thing - it was tall enough to pick through the door opening; bad thing - the door wouldn't close. So I cut mouses tail and adhered it on the side of the cabinet, almost like the tail was cut off by the door. That just made me so happy!!! wearied right? no what I like about such moments that surprisingly and unexpectedly effects falls in and project starting to take a shape. So the style of my project was decided and sealed right in there - it must be a funny, joke like project with lots of cranky elements.
I altered back of the clock case using KSP "Nevermore Bottlecap & Domino Art Collage" and crochet lace from NSK
came out so adorable - almost looks like the wall of the corridor in some old house with damask the wall paper and bottom rail. That bat image was absolutely in correct place... LOVE it!
So After placing Clock and a Chair I adhered it with E 6000 and glossy accents to each other and to the floor.
Now dilemma was about what to put into open space between furniture and under the chair. Something was missing. Luckily for me I was Skyping with my crafty friend Rosanne (Roxycar11 on YT) and she was working with the same Phantom kit. She was making a real size witch hat. It was coming out absolutely adorable. By the way go and check out her video " Witches Hat". So I asked Rosanne if it would be OK to create "Mini Me" - mini copy of her hat, and she agreed. So she walked me through on how to make one (I just needed to figure out the size - so it would look proportional with my miniature - it took a couple templates). And here it is..

I put a mini mouse inside of the hat, like it ate a whole. and decorated around using some NSK paper & fabric flowers.
With the chair decoration I used Rosanne's idea of the book stack. Using scraps of papers I created few and adhered those one to each other stacking under the chair. And of course there is another mouse...
In all inside miniature composition turned out absolutely adorable..
Stage 3.
After that I moved on surprise to outside of the project. I needed to decide how my box will be looking closed. What and how I should use to alter the outside of the explosion box.
I have Haunted House foam die cut in my store for sale, so those came out absolutely handy. And if you are purchasing, you are getting two, so it was absolutely perfect. So I secured those on both sides on front and back of my Haunted House to be. Decision was made again. It will be a Haunted House!
After adhering one foam house to the lid of explosion box I realized that I need to work on smashed in to the wall witch element.. Ta-da! Those moments driving me nuts. How silly of me to use a permanent adhesive!! But I worked it out. And I recorded my steps, so there will be another post on my blog and a video. So for now I will move on..

Stage 4.
I went back and started a decoration of inside flaps of explosion box. And those were very easy to do, because you have to keep in mind that recipient will be using it for pictures. So you need only few elements on those pages. Take a look what I came up with....
I used gifted to me Halloween cameo, art tiles images from KSP, tags from my stash, stickers and metal bottle cap with feathers and mesh.

Stage 5.
After I was done with filling in inside of explosion box I found out that when its closed the layers of paper bulging out, because the decoration on inside was so 3D. I needed to come up with solution to unfortunate problem. Luckily for me I have few MS punches with Halloween theme and one of it is a fence. Perfect! So I punched out two strips of black paper fence and secured it under foam Haunted house die cuts.
Now it was all put together solid and I can start on the most fun part - DECORATION.
Stage 6.
Altering haunted house was the most fun part of all. I used embellishments from NSK. You just have to check it all out other way I will be here forever posting the links to all elements..
Take a look how my finished project came out..
and closer to the main part of it - roof of the Haunted House
Fun!
Here the picture of few embellishments that I was using in decoration of this project..
I had so much fun..
Stay tuned for the video on that project and next post about how I created cracked house effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment